[ezcol_1third] Can you even believe that pizza - good pizza - can be made from cauliflower? My family went nuts for this pie last night and we promise, it's so good that you won't miss your usual takeaway one bit once you give it a try. This is life-changing pizza my friends... and it's here just when we're all needing it most - TGIF!
I know there're a lot of recipes out there claiming to unlock the secret to making our favourite junk foods healthful. I've tried a lot of them, many on this blog. (Y'all know I love me some paleo pancakes, chocolate milk, and brownies too.) But the truth is a lot of sugar-free wheat-free, dairy-free imposters just aren't as good as the real thing. So I'm not going to tell you that cauliflower makes the best pizza I've ever had... But I am putting it out there that this is the most delicious and cost-effective way to make pizza gluten-free... And I prefer this cauliflower pizza base to any ready-made product available at the grocery story, GF or otherwise.
Gluten Free Cauliflower Pizza Base Recipe
Prep time: 40min // Servings: 2-3
½ head cauliflower (about 2 cups riced) 1 clove garlic, minced 1 cup part-skim grated cheese 1 egg, beaten 1 teaspoon dried basil 1 teaspoon dried oregano
1. Pre-heat oven to 400° F/200° C.
2. Line a baking sheet with baking paper or greased aluminium foil.
3. Chop the stems and leaves off your cauliflower and break apart the florets. Pop them into a food processor and pulse until the texture is similar to rice. If you don't have a food processor you can use a cheese grater.
4. Place the 'riced' cauliflower in an uncovered bowl and cook in the microwave for 8 minutes.
5. In a bowl combine the cooked cauliflower with all remaining ingredients.
6. Spread your 'dough' out evenly over the baking sheet and use your hand to press it out until it's about a 1/2 cm thick.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden, crispy on the edges and cooked through the middle.
8. Remove the crust from the oven. Top with pizza sauce and toppings.
9. Broil the pizza for 5 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted.
10. Allow the pizza to cool for 2-3 minutes then cut and serve immediately.