The Old Magpie Cafe, Berrima

by Catherine on July 16, 2012

in Best of Sydney

It’s no secret that I have a thing for idyllic country towns and they don’t come much more idyllic than Berrima. Set just 5 minutes off the Sydney – Canberra Hume Highway, Berrima is all lovingly restored old buildings, not-too-tended green spaces, artisans’ shops and delightful eateries. On the weekend it’s worth stopping in early before the visiting hoards make the place feel that bit too twee. A hearty meal by the wood stove at the cosy Old Magpie Cafe is well worth the trip, followed by a stroll down to the creek and a wander further down the high street. I couldn’t leave town without treating myself to a sampling of the creative concoctions on offer at Southern Highlands foodie favourite Mrs Oldbuck’s Pantry, home to an enormous bounty of  jams, relishes, sauces and chutneys.

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Desire Empire

Love that town. Cafe looks like a nice place to visit for a break.
Carolyn

Catherine

Thanks for stopping by The Spring Carolyn… there look to be a heap of great cafes in Berrima, but if you do ever stop in at The Magpie I’d love to know what you think!
x Catherine

Meghan

Looks lovely and right up my alley! I must add to my places to visit.

Catherine

Berrima is a the perfect pit-stop because it’s just off the highway and there’re so many beautiful old cottages, shops, and people’s gardens to peek at… could be very inspiring for your own project!
x Catherine

Teresa

When I lived in Canberra, Berrima was always a great stop on the way to and from Sydney. It’s such a pretty little town (sometimes quite touristy too!).

Catherine

Hi Teresa, I know what you mean about the tourists! When we arrived for breakfast between 8am and 9 the town was quiet and peaceful. When driving back through on Sunday afternoon it was teaming. I think it’s the kind of place where you want to pick your time to visit carefully! Thanks so much for commenting! x Catherine

Madeline

I was married in Berrima! So it is a special place for me but I haven’t been back in a long time. Must fix that!

Catherine

I can imagine a Berrima wedding being so beautiful! It’s the prettiest town and I can’t believe how many amazing restaurants and bakeries it boasts… a great place for a romantic weekend!
Thanks so much for stopping by The Spring. x Catherine

Mere

Hi Catherine,

I’m trying to get a hold of someone at The Old Magpie Cafe, Berrima, do you kno9w how i could go about doing that? The number (02)4877 2008 said it’s not connected.