Slow Down {& Focus}

by Catherine on March 14, 2012

in Blogosophy, The Spring At Home

work_place_01

Yesterday I woke up to the sound of skype ringing. It was my oldest, bestest friend calling from London to say she’s getting married. My face still hurts from smiling! We were 10 when we vowed to be each other’s bridesmaids, and 26 when we promised to definitely let the other pick her own dress. She’ll wear purple, I’ll be in black. And I will be there, in London, in October. No matter what.

work_place_05

For those of you who don’t know, in the real world I’m a PhD student with a thesis that just isn’t finishing itself. I write about the role of Caribbean intellectuals in bringing about meaningful cultural and material independence in the decades since decolonisation, and I promise you it’s a fascinating subject! I loved travelling in the region, researching, and being part of a community of really smart students in graduate school. What I’m not so great at is sitting in a room by myself, month after month, quietly writing away. Blogging has been a way to reach out from this solitude and find my feet in my first year in Australia, but now it’s time to reassess. Just a little bit. When I return to England in October, I desperately want to have a completed doctoral thesis in hand. It feels like now it’s do or die. And the only way t’s all going to work out is if I slow down now and focus. I love writing The Spring too much to abandon it, but I will be cutting down the frequency of my posts to three times a week. I want to thank my regular readers for their loyalty and support. I’ll still be all over twitter, facebook, and my tumblr… so I’ll be seeing you here… and there!

work_place_04

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Angela

Goodluck with it all Catherine!

Catherine

Thanks Angela!!

Rach // In Spaces Between

I can totally relate to this lovely and it’s something that needs to be done sometimes to get a big project completed and to clear that “messy energy” (or feelings of overwhelm/ laziness/ whatever-ness!) While it’s a bit different, I’m having to pull back on my blog as well so that I can finish planning what has turned out to be a massive job – my wedding – and I figure a wedding rolls around once in a lifetime, so it’s important to poll all my mental resources and direct them that way for a bit. Same for you – you’ll probably get through things sooo much faster without conflicting tasks and scattered energy. So bravo! And yay for bridesmaid-ing and London trips! xox

Catherine

Thanks Rach! It’s also super easy (for me, anyway) to procrastinate on things I find stressful. And a blog can be the ultimate procrastination tool! It’s probably always a struggle to get the balance right between the things we should be doing and the things we’d rather be doing! Still, I hope the wedding planning (as full-on as it’s been) is still fun for you. I’m trying to embrace the thesis writing and find things to love about it… after all, hating on it hasn’t made it go away or get any easier!!

x Catherine

Rach // In Spaces Between

* pool all my resources that should say!

maddy

Wow your thesis subject sounds so fascinating!

jazziefizzle

How amazing – your trip to London will be too fun! It must be great to have a goal to look forward to and to motivate your thesis writing. And don’t worry, we will still be here when you have time to post again :)

Best of luck and sending PHD writing mojo your way!

Maria V

We’ll always be here! Your thesis sounds so interesting and this is something you’ll be proud of later in your life. All the best to you dear with your writing and hope you’re enjoying Sydney!!!

xx
Maria

ma

It’s not going to be easy, my girl – but I know for sure that you can get it done. Let your beautiful environment and the prospect of the UK in October energize you and Just Do It!
Luv Ma

Melissa

Lucky you – when does the Olympics finish? eeeek it will be busy if it’s on in October. I think you should show more of your apartment too – I have seen wee snippets and I want to see more haha.

Charlotte

Good luck with your thesis (and with cutting back on blog posts, blogging is addictive!) it’s so nice that your friend is getting married, so congratulations to her :D

One of my friends got married a few years ago and I didn’t get to choose my own dress.. luckily we have the same taste! You’ll have to share pics of the dress x

Catherine

Thanks Charlotte… Cutting back on blogging is pretty tough! I’m so glad to hear you weren’t forced into a horrendous brides-maidy concoction… it’s a real hazard and best for everyone if avoided!! I’ll definitely be taking pics of the one I choose, and probably asking for style advice in advance to the big decision too!

Catherine

Courtney

Hi Catherine

I’ve just come across your blog and I love it! I’ve just started my first year of postgrad study and it is SO hard – I have huge respect for anyone who completes a PhD! If you don’t mind my asking, what faculty are you in? I’m doing anthropology and you’re subject sounds very interesting! All the best for your research :)